View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #119
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Default Re: The ultimate goal of Man Of Steel and what it means to be Superman.

I think you're forgetting a big aspect of why Clark's grown up not using his powers.

Because he is afraid of being caught. He is afraid of his life as he knows it being over.

He spent his entire childhood and young adult life choosing to live an ordinary life and hide his powers, because his parents and he know what would happen if the world knew about him. They'd be afraid of him, they'd try to attack him or capture him or even kill him.

And when he decides to become Superman, it's a huge risk he's taking. It's a big scary risk, exposing himself to the world like that. Knowing that all they will see is a threat, and it's very unlikely they will just let him go about his business saving lives as he sees fit... they won't like having such power out of their control.

He carries on working and being the normal Clark Kent because that's the only part of his life that is safe from all that. If the whole world rejected Superman, if the whole thing fails and everyone hates him... he can at least still have the safe haven of his every day life. He can still be Clark Kent.

If I suddenly got Superman's powers, do you think i'd be flying around, using my superpowers willy nilly to take whatever I want just because 'I can and no one can stop me?'

No, that way leads to nothing but bad for me. That way leads to people chasing me constantly. To me having no chance at being happy ever again. And most probably, to my own death (because even Superman's powers don't make you invincible).

It's not just about having these big high morals.

It's about protecting yourself and the people around you by not being a complete idiot.

Zod's different. He's not like us. He has nothing to loose. He has no 'life' to protect. His life, his entire world has been destroyed.

THAT'S what makes him an interesting character.

It's not 'What happens when you give someone who isn't Superman those powers'. It's 'What happens when you give someone who has nothing to loose those powers'.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 08-04-2012 at 09:14 PM.
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote