View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #129
BatScot
Mon the Hoops!

Default Re: The Batsuit Master Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Bob Kane didn't design Batman's costume, and the design that he did reproduce quickly became defunct. There comes a point in the artistic history of Batman where cops are shown wearing black uniforms highlighted with blue, and Batman is shown wearing a blue uniform highlighted with black. At that point, Batman is clearly supposed to be wearing blue. I submit that whatever "metaphorical" aspects that might have been attached to Batman's design in its early history were lost when his costume was redesigned entirely, and he gained the yellow oval on his chest.
Whatever one thinks of Bob Kane—and I can all but guarantee (having long been an advocate of Bill Finger’s preeminent role in defining the Batman archetype) that few think less of Kane than I do—Kane was nonetheless THE de facto voice of early Batman canon. And whether or not Bob Kane actually invented that Batman archetype (he didn’t) is irrelevant here; what is relevant is the fact that Bob Kane acknowledged the black and gray archetype as definitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I don't know what "evidentially supported" means, but if you mean "supported by evidence", then you need more evidence than the words of someone who wasn't responsible for Batman's design, and you need to address the fact that the design was constantly revised and changed after the brief period in which Bob Kane had any involvement with the publication of Batman comics.
Batman & Me ~ Bob Kane (1989)
the wings, trunks, and mask were black.

Batman: The Complete History ~ Les Daniel (1999)
The cowl and cloak remained black, but since comics conventions demand that black objects be highlighted in blue, Batman’s uniform in effect became blue and gray.

Batman in the Forties ~ intro Bill Schell (2004)
In Batman’s debut story, the key elements in his mythos were established; his eerie [black and gray] costume… Batman’s debut in Detective #27 has the estimable value of revealing Bat-Man (as he was called at first) exactly as envisioned by Bob Kane and Bill Finger. So the result is… undiluted by editorial interference or the suggestion of others. This is Batman straight from the heads of his creators. We must also recognize that it was Bob Kane’s art that set the tone for all who would follow, and that nearly all of the work done on the strip by Kane – a considerable amount – appeared throughout the 1940s. That’s when 99% of Kane’s personal contribution to the Batman was made, in the days when various facets of the legend were set.

Batman: The Ultimate Guide to the Dark Knight (2005) ~ Scott Beatty

There he is, the ‘blue’ Batman… the ‘blue’ Batman that is taken by some as proof of the argument that Batman is literally supposed to be wearing blue… and on the cover of the ‘Ultimate Guide’ no less. And yet there is no greater argument for “blue being symbolic of black” than the text within that same ‘Ultimate Guide’:

BATMAN’S LOOK: To strike terror, he would become as the bat, sketching out a symbolic costume which would have him clad from head to toe in stealthy black and gray against the Gotham night.

And finally…

Bob Ringwood (2007)
I had decided from the beginning that this ‘Batman’ was not going to be in blue knickers,” said costume designer Bob Ringwood. “I hated those. Bats are black, of course – not blue – and black is much more sinister and sexy. After talking to Batman creator Bob Kane, we found out that he had always thought of ‘Batman’ as being in black, but that it was very difficult to draw a black-on-black drawing for the comic strip. So he had drawn it in blue so that he could use different tones of the color for effect. In his mind, the blue was just a symbolic version of black. Our black costume was really nearer the original concept.

Reinventing the Batsuit for the Modern Era

Last edited by BatScot; 08-06-2012 at 12:56 AM.