View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
JustSomeGuy
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
What do you mean you don't know what it would be like?
What I mean when I say "I don't know what it would be like," I mean maybe once I see how they go about portraying Loki as turning good, I might like it, if done right. But right now I am against it because it seems out of character.

Quote:
We haven't had a "fully evil Loki" in the films yet. He's a conflicted, nuanced character, which is a big part of his appeal. In Thor, his plan is basically to save Asgard, be regarded as a hero, and earn his father's love. But because Loki is Loki, his plan for doing that revolves around mischief, deceit and trickery. You should always be questioning what Loki's motives and intentions are. The second he's just plainly bad with no innkling of doubt, THAT would be when he veers out of character.
How can you say we haven't scene fully evil Loki? I don't care if he thought his motives were noble, doesn't every villain think his actions are noble? He tried to destroy an entire planet and then subjugate Earth. He also killed Coulson, tried to kill Thor on multiple occasions and tried to kill Tony Stark. How is this not fully evil? If that isn't fully evil, what in the world is fully evil? Give me an example, please.

Quote:
I think you need to watch that scene again. When Loki says "Sentiment", a single tear rolls down his cheek. Huddleston played that as Loki genuinely torn over whether or not to accept Thor's offer of reconciliation, before deciding there's no way back for him. Yes, Loki's actions are more overtly evil in The Avengers than in Thor, but his best scenes remain his interactions with Thor, where we get just a hint that he might not be beyond saving.
I am sorry but...no. That is wrong. You need to watch that scene again. He wasn't "torn" over whether or not to accept Thor's offer. Maybe in that brief moment where it glances at him and he is staring right back at Thor. But then he immediately stabs him in the ribs, and laughs at the sight of Thor expressing sentimentality.

Now maybe you are right about Loki having a redemptive nature in the comics. I am just saying that with this version of Loki, it would seem out of character at this point for Loki to have a change of heart and decide to help Thor, who he has an intense hatred for and has tried to kill multiple times.