View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #27
JustSomeGuy
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
And no, I'm not wrong. I'm not talking about a personal interpretation of the scene, I'm talking about objective fact. After stabbing Thor, tears are rolling down his cheeks as he says, "Sentiment.". I saw the film in cinemas 3 times, and noticed it each time. The people I went to see the film with on each occasion all remarked on it. People on these forums have commented on it as a standout Loki moment. It shows there is some level of sadness and regret about his actions, unless you want to argue that he's so happy about being bad that he's crying tears of joy.

Loki is a villain, no doubt. But to suggest he is just pure evil with no hints whatsoever of moral conflict in these films is laughable.
Really? It's objective fact, and you are basing that on what exactly? Did you call up your friend Tom Hiddleston and have a conversation with him about it? Yours is the very definition of an interpretation:

in·ter·pre·ta·tion   [in-tur-pri-tey-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
the act of interpreting; elucidation; explication: This writer's work demands interpretation.
an explanation of the meaning of another's artistic or creative work ; an elucidation: an interpretation of a poem.

Unless you can talk to Joss Whedon and/or Tom Hiddleston, everything we say here is interpretation. And besides, it makes no sense that him shedding a tear is a showing of how torn he is. He did it after he stabbed Thor in the ribs. Why would he be torn about what to do, right after he stabs his brother in the ribs? That would be like me shooting a deer and then trying to decide if I want to actually go hunting. And besides, he is smiling when he says it!

I might be inclined to agree with you if he did it before stabbing him in the ribs, or if he wasn't smiling when he said it. But he does both. Idk how you can say this is him being torn. This is him laughing at the sight of it, the same way he laughs to himself a million times during the movie.

But oh well. Agree to disagree. That's the great thing about interpretations, everybody can have there own.