View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Dry Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLegend View Post
Totally accurate from my perspective.

A neurotic, obsessive, suicidal, crazy man who fights crime at night dressed in the dark visage of a Bat ... and is fractured emotionally, essentially still an 8 year old in essence who never grew up ... seeking a father figure himself

In turn being that disturbed man yet supposedly is being a father figure to a young boy makes ZERO sense. As does the threatning image of a all black Bat fighting crime, with a colorful red and green CHILD makes zero sense as well.

As does the entire concept of introducing a CHILD into being a vigilante. Real heroic endeavour right there, Batman. If anything you should be steering him away from that life. Making something better and more productive out of it. It's Bruce Wayne's curse cause he's crazy. He shouldn't want it for anyone else.

Not to mention in the classic sense, the oddly disturbing homosexual or pedophile like undertones or potential jokes.

I prefer the more dark idea of one broken and disturbed man's self expected one man war on crime.
Stop being a closed minded dummy. Who said Bruce Wayne never grew up? He's not Peter Pan. There's a life lesson to be learned here... perhaps you haven't lost a parent, and God forbid that you do... because it's one of the most horrible things a person can experience, let alone having to lose both mother & father. Bruce Wayne grew up really damn quick after that, and it seems to me that he matured quicker than most.

Part of his journey through adulthood is that he is still traumatized by this event in his past, and the anger of the loss is what drives him. Also, he's had Alfred as a father figure his whole life, so to say he's essentially stuck in a state emotionally and mentally (as a child) is grossly incorrect.

As far as Bruce allowing a child vigilante into his life, it comes down to Bruce being able to identify with Robin, and the pain of that loss. Not many people will understand what Robin's suffering... they share that common pain. I think Bruce does what he feels is right in allowing Robin the opportunity to channel his own anger in fighting crime alongside Batman. Whether that's "right or wrong" is irrelevant. What Batman does is "wrong" in the eyes of the law, correct? Allowing Robin to become his partner, well that concept is no less a "heroic endeavor" than the very existence of Batman and his unlawful actions.

Regardless, the point that Hypestyle was making was that "something interesting" could have been done with Robin in the films. Who's to say Bruce couldn't adopt Grayson and send him off to boarding school so that he could have the best education, and yet remain a mentor to him in the matters of the heart? Seeing the boy grow up and deal with those issues, which are quite psychologically complex, could've been quite moving and interesting to watch. Especially if the relationship between Bruce and Dick had been established early on, cultivated and set up over two films, and then by the third film Robin would appear. It could have been well received and well done, and I think ultimately anyone that likes Robin one iota (or dislikes him) would want to it done in a way that draws the viewer in.