View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #42
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
This. I had the same reaction to everyone who was "sick of Catwoman" before TDKR. I was like, Pfeiffer was awesome, but that wasn't the Selina Kyle I know, and the POS Halle Berry movie definitely was NOT Catwoman. So no, I didn't think we'd seen enough of Catwoman, and I'm SO glad Anne Hathaway was able to give general audiences another perception of the character.

Same goes for Lex. We haven't seen the definitive Lex Luthor in live-action. I think the closest we got was John Shea in L&C, cheesy as that show was. Rosenbaum had the brilliant, Machiavellian billionaire part down, but he didn't have the "public charmer" aspect at all (because his character wasn't written that way). Shea's Luthor, while still portrayed on the cartoonish level of that show, was a charming, brilliant, and a self-made billionaire industrialist who was beloved by the public, and had a true, viscous hatred of Superman going on because of what he represented to him. And he had the whole world fooled except Superman. That's who Lex Luthor should be, imo. Just, ya know, a less cheesy version of it, lol.
Yeah, I guess Shea was somewhat close, but he always felt a little too cheesy and hammy to me. Then again, when you're acting against a block of wood (Dean Cain) I suppose you have to overcompensate.

But yeah, I totally agree about the Catwoman thing. I don't doubt Nolan might have introduce Selina earlier (possibly in BB or TDK) if that awful Halle Berry movie had never existed.