View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #77
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Default Re: The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

Even then it's not Shakespeare where you're adapting a specific play here & adhering to a strict script from hundreds of years ago. You're taking on adapting material that has had hundreds upon hundreds of reinterpretations in the first place across multiple media for over 70 years. All with the common thread of reworking the same characters, themes and tropes in their own flavor.

What's important to me is "does BR take important themes of the Batman mythos and present them in an effective way?" I say yes. The movie deals with obsession, loneliness, duality & tragedy in inventive and memorable ways. So much so that here we are 20 yrs later still discussing the merit of it all. So it is very much a Batman movie because it takes common themes specifically reused within the Batman mythos (especially common during the comics era this movie was produced in) and does them justice on film.

Is is the Batman movie you or I would make? perhaps not but it's still very much Batman in it's own way. It's certainly not Howard The Duck.