View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #84
mongoose-mania
Gentleman

Default Re: The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
This movie, after 20 years, STILL puzzles me. I can't decide whether I like it or not.

I personally believe that stylistically, this is the best Batman movie to date. The imagery and atmosphere are absolutely gorgeous, there's no denying that. It's a beautiful film to look at. I mean, take a look at the screencaps that have already been posted in this thread ... Gorgeous!

I think the characters and the storyline are interesting, and the themes presented in the storyline are borderline genius. Catwoman and Penguin being warped representations of Batman himself? Interesting!

I think that Michelle Pfeiffer did an excellent job as Catwoman, and she was the beating heart of the film. I believe she did an iconic performance in the costume. Anne Hathaway is a better Selina Kyle, but Michelle Pfeiffer is a better Catwoman. "I am Catwoman, hear me roar!" Need I say more?

I also believe that Michael Keaton did a great job, as always. Keaton is one of the most criminally underrated actors ever, so it saddens me that people pretty much want to forget his performance as Batman after the Nolan movies. Danny DeVito also delivered a fine performance with what he was given.

Now, with all of the praises I'm giving this movie, I'll have to go to the negative right now: Is Batman Returns a good movie? I think it's a more than competent movie with stunning visuals. Is Batman Returns a good Batman movie? Umm ... I personally don't think it is, overall. There are a lot of things in this movie that just aren't a good representation of Batman and his world.

For instance, I think that Batman killing is a big no-no (yeah, whatever, I know he killed in the earlier comics, but that has since been dropped ... And dropped like a safe). Another problem is Penguin. I think the character for the MOVIE is interesting, but was he a good Penguin/Oswald Cobblepot? I don't think so. I also think that the whole supernatural thing with Catwoman's origin was bizarre and not fully explained. It's these problems that prevent me from loving the film.
Interesting that you brought up Catwoman's "supernatural" origins, because I've been thinking about that recently. Maybe it's just me, but when I first saw BR, I didn't think Selina died when she was pushed out of the window. On her way down, she hits a couple awnings which, I imagine, would've slowed her down just a tad and softened the impact perhaps. I always felt that she was just unconscious before the cats show up, and when they all start chewing her up and climbing all over her, it's almost like they're restoring her senses in a way. At least that's how I saw it. It's fun to speculate.