Thread: Kurse!
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #31
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Okay, its possible I'm misreading you, but there's so much factually wrong here that I feel obliged to respond.

First, to say that Kurse was created by the Beyonder is *hugely* deceptive, as it overlooks the entire Malekith story arc in which he was born. Beyonder didn't make Algrim the Strong, he didn't kill him, and he didn't give him his rage. All he did was serve as the passing godbeing who revived him after he took a dive into the center of the Earth. Outside the two issues where Kurse first appeared as his new, revived self, Beyonder never appeared again.
Yes, I'm aware he didn't create Algrim; but he created *Kurse.* There's nothing at all factually wrong with how I worded it.

Incidentally, therein lies another huge problem with bringing Kurse to the screen. We know that Algrim is in it, and therefore Algrim will, at some point, adopt the Kurse persona with its suped-up powers and armor. And we know pretty damn well that Beyonder is not going to be part of this, so the question inevitably arises: who *does* give Kurse his powers? Certainly not Malekith, since Malekith is the one who betrays him and kills him (tries to, anyway). Not Loki, since he's likely to be under "Asgardian house arrest" of some sort, and Hiddleston seems to be limited to a smaller role this time around.

There's clearly another *unannounced* major Thor villain at work here that will prove to be Kurse's creator, and that means that there's no way that we have a complete cast list yet.

Quote:
Second, Kurse wasn't "beaten" by the Power Pack. He was beaten by Thor and Beta Ray Bill both channeling the power of their respective hammers *into* one particular member of the Power Pack, whose power is specifically energy absorption and redirection on a rather excessive scale. This *damaged Mjolnir and Stormbreaker*, such that they actually had to be repaired.

( Tangentially, you do realize that the Power Pack are probably more powerful than any other kid superteam Marvel has ever had? Yes, they may be primary schoolers, but they are *powerful* primary schoolers. )

It's the Power Pack. There is no justification or making excuses here. Any time you get your butt beat by a bunch of fourth graders, it's not gonna look good on your supervillain resume. (But for the record: everybody gets beat by the Power Pack sooner or later. Even Dr. Doom, Hulk, Zzaxxx, Galactus....it's just something of a "no ****in' way" joke continuity that "serious business" fanboys can't agree to as "real" canon; kinda like Squirrel Girl or Howard the Duck.)

Quote:
Third, all of this happened in the Walt Simonson Thor run. Which was only the best Thor run ever, and one of the high points of 80s comics.
JMS had the best Thor run. Simonson was great, but he ran the gamut from the sublime to the ridiculous....yes, he created an outstanding saga in the Twilight Sword, but he also made what a lot of fans considered to be a mockery of the title, with new characters like Beta Ray Bill and "Frog Thor" regarded as so much silliness.

And the Twilight Sword Saga combined elements of both. Surtur's war on Asgard remains one of the title's finest hours, but Malekith is nothing but a setup for Surtur, and as a character, he shades towards the silly side, too (sorry, it's impossible to accept a cross-dressing glam metal reject as even remotely cool, past, say, 1987; can't believe they didn't go for David Bowie or Dee Snyder to play the role....too obvious, I guess )

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote