Thread: Kurse!
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #47
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Thor exclusively defending Earth, whether that was Stan Lee's original intent or not, is boring. That's every superhero movie. They've spent two movies setting him up as a protector of both worlds, and we're already getting Thor based on Earth in the Avengers movies. Spending time on Asgard is what separates the Thor movies from the other movies, and it's what the general public associates with the character now. Besides, who are the "iconic" Earth-based villains? Absorbing Man? Already bastardized into the 03 Hulk movie. The Wrecking Crew? lol

The impending destruction of all of Asgard, the death of Odin, the unleashing of a feared ancient monster from Asgardian myth, the Ragnarok, Loki's "redemption" at long last, there's a Thor 3 in there. A good one. Thor flies to Earth, punches Mr. Hyde in the face, and poses for pictures? Not really.

Thor's budding relationship with Jane, Jane's visit to Asgard, Odin's disapproval of Thor's love for Earth and Jane, Loki's punishment and weaseling out of it, Malekith kidnapping Jane and betraying his soldier, Kurse's resurrection and lust for revenge, and Kurse realizing he was betrayed and getting his peace. That's dense. It's an entire movie. It's not the throwaway set-up for a third act doomsday scenario.
I'm just not sure how much longer Marvel can continue to justify the separation of Asgard Thor from Midgard Thor. There's a definite reason for Thor to be an Avenger in TA1, because Loki is the direct cause of all the trouble. A TA2 that features Thanos, or Ultron, or even Paste-Pot Pete? Not so much of a reason for Thor to get involved there.

He's going to have to make a choice. Ruler of Asgard, or Defender of Midgard? Depending on what decade you're reading the comic book, it could be either/or. In the movies, it's going to be a lot harder for audiences to continue to care about what happens on other planets/dimensions, though. The MCU is definitely centered on Earth, no matter how far-flung the stories carry....in the end, it's about how heroes defend the Earth from these cosmic forces.

I know it could go either way, and I may be wrong about the direction I think Thor will take. But it's my own personal opinion that, from a business standpoint, MS will be more interested in keeping Thor down to Earth as an on-call Avenger and Defender of Midgard, and that's why I believe Thor 2 will pretty much be the end-all and be-all of his days in Asgard. And that's why I believe that it'll all climax with Surtur destroying Asgard and slaying Odin before being struck down by Thor; and then Thor will be left with the choice between two worlds. And yes, you could certainly stretch that story out for another movie or three, but again: how long can the studio continue to tell this epic fantasy set in distant worlds and pretend that the principal(s) can just leisurely bounce back to Earth every couple of years or so to help their ol' buddies Tony, Bruce and Steve mix it up with some baddies there?

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote