View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #122
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: Christopher Eccleston is playing Malekith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
They have accents and they also have accents based on their region and class just like any society really.

Except the British accent(s) is (are) sexier.
I think the Old English dialect and accent makes a certain sort of sense. If Asgardians first arrived on Earth in Northern Europe, their speech would've most definitely heavily influenced any language the humans were already using. As English is a Western Germanic language, and they landed in Norway this is fitting. Odin came to earth speaking old english (which of course Asgardians may simply call Asgardian language) and the ancient Norwegian language may have taken some influence in such a way as to evolve into Old English and eventually modern English. Where of course, Asgardians language would have been far older and more developed so they wouldn't have evolved nearly so drastically.

Just a small point I took into account because it could be considered strange that the extraterrestrials in the MCU (Asgardians, Jotuns, The Other/Thanos) speak English. But I feel like this brings a little more possibility into the mix for those who are bothered by that. If I am missing something from the comics/etc. please let me know. I enjoy this type of stuff.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote