View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #160
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Default Re: Avengers Assembled: News and Speculation - - - Part 69

Yeah, I get where you're coming from.

On the topic of subtext and character development, I don't think it's quite fair to compare it with Whedon's television work. In those instances, he has about 12 - 20 hours per season to flesh out his characters, and they are HIS characters right from the get go.

With Avengers, he was picking up other peoples iterations of these characters and his goal was to, along with bringing them all together in a cohesive and engaging story, to make the characters his as well, both things I think he succeeded at. Now, part of this is due to the strong level of communication Marvel has had across all the films as far as maintaining a continuity. But consider the fact that Joss Whedon now has the role of overseeing all of the Marvel properties. He is the one who will be joining the dots, connecting the visions. I think Avengers was just the start of Whedons vision, and with that in mind, I don't think it's fair to judge the extent of the character development we saw. The fact that we saw such great character development in a huge ensemble film like this at all is amazing, but in the scope of the overall MCU story, this is just one comic volume, one episode of an overall 'series' if you will. I don't think there needs to be the same expectation on development. If anything, a lot of the character development was resolved in the final fight, with some character conflicts being resolved from their OWN movies.

The threads left untied seem more than likely to continue in the characters solo movies and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Think of a comic book. How often do you get EVERYTHING resolved in the one volume?