View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #173
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: Avengers Assembled: News and Speculation - - - Part 69

THE AVENGERS isn’t remotely Whedon’s weakest work. It’s also nowhere near his best, other than action and scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
The subtext is murkier in the Avengers as well. The themes of individualism, collectivism, control and identity are there but they don't quite cohere in my mind because they don't appear to have Whedon's full attention.
And that is the film’s weakest element…it introduces concepts and themes, but it does little to explore them. Joss Whedon’s a much, much better writer than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Yeah, I get where you're coming from.
The fact that we saw such great character development in a huge ensemble film like this at all is amazing, but in the scope of the overall MCU story, this is just one comic volume, one episode of an overall 'series' if you will. I don't think there needs to be the same expectation on development. If anything, a lot of the character development was resolved in the final fight, with some character
Calling this film’s character development “great” strikes me as serious hyperbole. The character interaction in the film is pretty solid, at least unique.

The actual character development is minimal.

And yes, there’s a difference in the time one has to develop characters in the TV format VS film, but there’s really no difference in the idea of shifting focus from character development to story and action. You either focus on that element as a writer, or you don’t. Whedon chose to focus on humor instead, and let a lot of the weighter and more interesting elements sit on the backburner. And I think he recognizes that.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote