View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
SuperFerret
This guy

Default Re: Is Superman A Jesus Metaphor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
This is exactly what I hate and it was one of the reasons I stopped caring for Superman. I've always felt that, in a way, it forced people to worship Superman. I believe it was the golden age that started to ruin him. Everyone accepted Superman and dubbed him the greatest hero ever. To me, that also took away from what all the other heroes have done. By Superman being Jesus-like, there would be no need for the Justice league and so on. Another reason that I don't like it is because he can be corrupted with red kryptonite and become more of an anti-christ figure making him a "corruptible Jesus". I liked Superman before this forced religion route. Writers should have continued to build on the alien aspect of Superman. Superman's alien heritage is what made me like him because it said to me "No matter who you are or where you come from, you can make a difference." Somewhere that was lost. I loved that Superman was "the hero of hope", but I didn't like him being depicted as being "The Savior".
1. Superman started in the Golden Age.
2. Superman has always had religious undertones. Look at his origin.
3. Superman being Christ-like has never undermined a need for a Justice League.
4. Superman's alien aspect is directly tied to the Christ metaphor.

I don't even understand where you're getting your ideas from, let alone how you were a fan of Superman's without seeing this stuff.