View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #85
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Default Re: Timeline of Nolan's trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore464 View Post
But surely you know that for a theory to be validated then there has to be no known element whatsoever disproving it.

If the props from TDKR indicate 2013 / 2014 (yes I was referring to the zoo poster, and also the car stickers), then it completely discredits the props from the whole trilogy as meaningful evidence, since they contradict each other.

I mean, like I said I'm completely fine with anyone having their opinion as to what exactly the timeframe for these films is, however I'm just saying that none actually makes sense, because for all these theories, contradicting elements can be found / deduced.

So it's fine to say "in my opinion, BB is set in 2005, TDK in 2008 and TDKR in 2016". But it's not OK to claim that this is a fact. Especially if you're handpicking certain elements that validate your claims and choose to ignore the ones that don't.

I think, clearly, the movies were never meant to be "dated", and all those dates were added in as extra details, not as meaningful evidence meant to be noticed by the fans. They are just immersing details for the cast and crew to make them feel the fake universe they are creating is that much closer to a real world.

Like the sets of Blade Runner, who were covered in stickers and other wonderful props that were never even shot for the film, just because even what you don't shoot contributes to the overall tone and mood of the universe.

And the fact that the date on the Joker picture happens to coincide with the movie's release date tells me this is nothing more than a funny easter egg.

On a related note, I can't wait to see higher res captures of the Bat computer screens from TDKR, as there seems to be an awful lot of detail on them, and the captures we've had so far are pretty low-res and don't allow us to read them.
Just to be clear I never said my opinion was a fact. And I shouldn't have to say "In my opinion", that statement should be a given here.

Everyone has the right to have their own opinion, but when people start browbeating others that's when things become problematic.

In any case, you're a very level headed poster. Glad to have you here.

Alex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote