View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #28
Transcended
Gunning for Metal

Default Re: Is Superman A Jesus Metaphor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Whatever happened to desperate scientist of a dying world, sent his child to a planet where his child would have the best possibility of survival. Clark Kent/KalEL doesn't help people because a hologram of his alien dead father told him its his destiny. He does it because its in his nature to help people. I like how Superman for all seasons simply had Clark be a good natured child who liked helping people to the point of getting his tuxedo he had saved up to buy dirty just to lend a hand to a person you know want show appreciation.
I don't know why it has to be an either/or thing. Obviously Superman wouldn't be Superman if he wasn't good-natured at heart; he'd be a force of cosmic destruction. It's his choice what to do with his power. People telling him what to do, and telling him his destiny, is actually the kind of pressure that would cause lesser men to snap and go the opposite direction... but instead, Clark takes it all in stride and finds his place in the world. That's what I love about Superman - no matter what other people want from him or how others perceive him, he's his own man, following his own path.

Just because Supes is naturally allegorical doesn't mean that defines or changes his character. It just means he can be analyzed in many different ways - like any good character.