View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Superman A Jesus Metaphor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcended View Post
I don't know why it has to be an either/or thing. Obviously Superman wouldn't be Superman if he wasn't good-natured at heart; he'd be a force of cosmic destruction. It's his choice what to do with his power. People telling him what to do, and telling him his destiny, is actually the kind of pressure that would cause lesser men to snap and go the opposite direction... but instead, Clark takes it all in stride and finds his place in the world. That's what I love about Superman - no matter what other people want from him or how others perceive him, he's his own man, following his own path.

Just because Supes is naturally allegorical doesn't mean that defines or changes his character. It just means he can be analyzed in many different ways - like any good character.
The whole concept of destiny usually leads to predetermined fate, I personally have never liked that. I view Superman as someone who would say we create our own paths and chose how we live our lives. I liked how MOS released two trailers with the concept of choice and destiny from Jorel and Jonathan. This way both groups of the fandom who favor both are pleased.

LordofhouseEl is offline   Reply With Quote