View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #38
kewlmatto
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
The Joker of this time wasn't even that extreme, a deadly prankster, yes, but not that deranged (talking about 1985).
Yes. Until the very late 80s (by the time the film was already well into production), Joker was a little less homicidal and deranged. I think Nicholson portrays that Joker well - there isn't the real 'nasty' streak to him that tends to happen when Joker gets angry in modern interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Then I thought about Black Mask and noticed that you actually couldn't feature him in a movie because everything about his original appearance screamed Jack Nicholson except the humor.
Hmmm...while I accept there are similarities, it's more in the way Black Mask is written by individual writers. The character can be spun differently, or just be another Joker clone - much like Riddler really.

I'm writing a fanscript at the moment for a third Burton Batman movie where Max Shreck becomes Black Mask. While I think yes there are similarities to Joker in the way I've written him, I think there is also enough of a difference to make him his own villain and deserve featuring him. The thing that helps the most was having him know Batman's identity (following from Returns) - it makes the cat-and-mouse between him and Batman a bit different from Joker, who no matter what, never seems to find out and in modern interpretations, never really cares. I'd be interested to know what you think.