View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #199
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.
 
Alex Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: With Anne Hathaway.
Posts: 2,401
Default Re: Can Batman escape the "Third Act Curse"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I don't get the hate for Spider-man 3 in the first place,but the same objections for that film can be found in TDKR:

The villain's being "reinterpreted" somewhat differently from the comic
A new "love interest" being hastily thrown at the hero (Miranda/Gwen)
A last act reworking of a villain's origin (Sandman/Ra's)
The main objective being the same in all three films (Save MJ....again/Save Gotham from a terrorist attack...again)
The Butler making an important revelation that he should have made several years earlier.

There are probably others that I'm forgetting,but my point is not to say TDKR is awful,but that SM 3 isn't any more flawed than TDKR.
It's not hate, it's all around dislike because the film was poorly executed. The problem is that SM 3 is massively flawed and the points that you're trying to contect just don't match up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Er....not so.
Yes... so. He's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Sandman was given a motivation. Since he was a simple thug in the comics,it was needed.The real comparison is not with Bane but with Talia,who is given a completely different motivation than the comics.(Revenge in honor of a dead father whom she hated?)
Sandman's motivation in the film was one of biggest things that didn't sit well with people. A perfect example is Batman 89 and making the Joker the person who killed Thomas and Martha Wayne.

Comparing his motivation to Taila's just doesn't make sense because it's too much of a stretch. Taila's motivations in the comics are all over the place. Sometimes she chooses Batman, sometimes she chooses her father, but Batman never had anything to do with Ra's death in the comcs. In fact, Taila herself had a hand in killing her own father not that long ago. So who knows what she would do if Batman had accidently killed her father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
"Miranda wasn't even much of a love interest to begin with." My point exactly. Seriously though,Bruce sleeps with her after meeting her like twice in his life for a total of 10 minutes?With Gwen there was no pretense of a real love interest for Peter,just a reason to cause friction between him and MJ.
You're forgetting that Bruce worked with her in the past for what had to be countless hours. He had also lost everything, he was beaten and he didn't even know it. If I were in his place I would done the same thing.

Yes, and that is another reason that SM3 was poorly executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Ra's flashback-story seemed as hastily conceived as Sandman killing Uncle Ben.You can't tell me either was planned from the beginning in either case.
The flashback story was not hastily conceived and it was planned from the beginning. Most everyone that's been here a while knows that. The only part of the flashback I didn't care for was Bruce seeing Ra's in the prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I'll concede TDKR Butler scene is better executed (Thanks in large part to Caine) but it's still pretty stupid. Didn't Alfred think Bruce would become more withdrawn thinking his true love died wanting to be with him?
It's not stupid, it was perfectly played. There is no way Bruce could have become more withdrawn than he was. When you get right down to it Alfred knew he had to stop being Batman because it has consumed had whole life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I really don't want to be in a place of "bashing" the film,as I enjoyed it very much (I gave it 9/10 on the Rate poll),and if it's your favorite of the 3,that's fine.(I like Spidey 3 more than 2.Does that make it a "better" film?Nope.I just enjoy it more.)
It's strange that you say that because it seems that's where you are now. How could you give it a 9 out of 10 when you found that many things wrong with the plot?

It's also strange that you like 3 more than 2. SM 2 was once the pinincle of the coimc book film. I know it's still in my top ten comic book film list.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
But people who want to wave the banner of "1st perfect trilogy!" and "1st flawless 3rd act!" are either seeing it through rose tinted glasses or have clearly seen a different movie than most of us.
Ha ha ha.... see this is problem. You're assuming that we have blinders on or we saw a different movie. We don't and we didn't. We only have a different opinion of the film, it's no different than how you feel about SM 3.

Alex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote