View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #40
kewlmatto
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
I don't like most modern portrayals of the Joker. Not going to say they aren't true to the character but... I don't like the Joker gassing kids. I don't like the Joker tied to a chair and slobbering. I don't like the Joker looking almost disfigured (I think the combination of a tall and skinny guy with a long face that is entirely white and the big smile is scary enough).
I agree. It's like the audience became a little complacent so they did all they could to try to make Joker 'edgy' again. I like the idea that people would flee just at the sight of him in the first place - knowing he's around creates a sense of unhinged chaos. I loved how they portrayed him in Gotham Central. He was really fairly subdued. But he played with people's minds so well.

Nicholson had a tinge of this. I absolutely love the scene in front of City Hall, where he suddenly appears after his mime henchmen. It's short, but it's wonderful. I love the feeling of an everyday, routine scene suddenly slipping as the Joker appears. In the comics we don't get this as much. That transition is the best thing about Joker to me...he just subtly makes the scene insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
I am, of course, talking about the original interpretation, not the cult leader and the crime boss from the 00s. In this time Black Mask was actually scarier than the Joker to me, since Black Mask didn't take it as a game. He was dead serious.
I haven't read many of the earlier Black Mask stories, will have to track them down (mostly read since mid-90s). I've had to take a few liberties with the character because I'm turning him into Shreck instead of Sionis, but I'm hoping to keep the core of the character - his vendetta against Bruce Wayne is central. I'm trying to keep it so that he only thinks of things as a game when he is winning (which has been everything so far)...

Trying to take the theme of Shreck falling from being a wealthy industrial capitalist into a criminal, seeking bitter revenge on the system he failed in. A bit of an anarchist, but only so far as his selfish revenge will take him...not all that principled. I feel this kind of echoes Sionis too, hopefully.

Interested to know if I've strayed too far.