View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #880
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Default Re: The Joker sized elephant in the room

I do like the fact that, even though the Joker is not mentioned in the movie, his actions in the second film had these big repercussions in the third one. The simple fact that Harvey Dent became Two-Face because of the Joker's actions, is the direct cause of the characters status at the beginning of the film. Also, even though is not directly stated, the injuries that the doctor points out to Bruce in the hospital scene (scar tissue on the kidneys, concussive damage to the brain) most likely could be from the beating he took at the end of The Dark Knight by the Joker (with a crowbar). Though I might be shoehorning things a little.

I do like that in the novelization his whereabouts are somewhat disclosed

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

"The worst of the worst were sent here (Blackgate Prison), except for the Joker, who, rumor had it, was locked away as Arkham's sole remaining inmate."

"Or perhaps he had escaped. Nobody was really sure."

I do like the almost mythic description of the Joker status. As last Arkham's inmate, it fulfills Batman's prediction "You'll be in a padded cell forever." And also, keeping with the uncertainity of the character itself, it also confirms nothing.

Also, when I first watched The Dark Knight, and the Joker said "You and I are destined to do this forever" I smiled. Not because I wanted a sequel with the Joker, but because of the meta-textual quality of the dialogue. It came to my mind the many Batman encounters against the Joker in different media. It was true. They will fight forever.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote