View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: News & Discussion Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Not true.

Wolverine will most likely be the time traveler in DOFP. By linking this film to DOFP you build anticipation & since Wolverine is in this film you can kill two birds with one stone.

If Mangold's story blatantly sets the film post-X3, you can begin to show how the world fell after the assassination/event.

Maybe the film ends with Sentinels or some clear lead-in to DOFP like Mjolnir in IM2 or The Cosmic Cube in Thor.

Again, I'd prefer Aronofsky's Kubrickian one-off, but I have a strong feeling we're not getting it. Mangold's twitter comments pretty much confirm that. Darren's [completely linear] script was set in the 80s and ended with
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Wolverine sitting in a Japanese prison cell. No cliffhanger. No lead-in. Just a broken man yet again locked away.
I'd have had no problem with a linear - and far more 'arthouse' - story that didn't necessarily connect to any of the other films or set up any future films, but I don't like the ending you posted from the Aronofsky script.

Fingers crossed that Mangold is still aiming for some artistic value in the production, and that perhaps Bryan Singer has given his approval to what they are now doing.

A thematic concept is essential - even the much-reviled X3 managed that while XMO: Wolverine didn't.