View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #411
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
She'll be written out or marginalized in some way of unknown contrivedness, but it's not like she's off in California somewhere with Rhodey. She works for SHIELD, why would she not still be as active with SHIELD and Cap in Avengers 2 as she was in Cap 2?

They could make up some crap for her to not be where she naturally would be, but it would smell like crap to me.
I don't think Rhodey being in California was the issue. It's more likely that he was deployed by the Air Force somewhere, and due to the short time span of the Avengers movie, he never learned about the situation or made it there in time.

Similarly, Sharon could be on a mission when whatever happens in Avengers goes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I may be overemphasizing it, that's true. Certainly it's possible to incorporate characters with similar skills, but I believe stories, and characters, are better when they don't overlap in skills, job description and allegiance. When you only have one female agent, she does all the stuff, physical and emotional, that falls under that character type, and it makes her deeper and more interesting. When you have two, you end up cutting one out completely or taking some amount of that female agent narrative role/screentime and doling it out, even if just minute worth. Yeah, they could have Sharon just cameo, but that kinda highlights that she doesn't bring anything to the overall story, she's just there because she was there in comics.
I'll be honest, I can't understand how or why you need only one female for any given role, or why it has to contribute anything at all to the 'overall story', if by that you mean the Avengers.

If Avengers 2 will be about Thanos, adapting the Winter Soldier won't -baring massive departure from the source- contribute to the overall story.