View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #180
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaratoiel View Post
If anyone can tell me what really a true presentation of Superman is, one that goes for every fan, then I would be able to provide you with an answer that is satisfying for everyone. But for me, I would say yes, I think it's a good Superman film, and is partly a true representation of Superman on the emotional aspect. I feel that comics generally don't do much justice to the emotional aspect of most characters. And I've read my share of comics, both Superman and non-Superman. On an emotional level, to me, it's a very good film. You can feel Superman's pain, and his love for a world that essentially doesn't belong to him.... if that makes sense.
First let me say, I enjoyed reading your post, which is odd because I don't generally enjoy reading post about why someone likes SR. Yet, I feel like you really did explain why you like it without any rancor or being defensive. So thank you for that. Second thing is what in the world happened to DoggofKrypton? I go away for 2 weeks of vacation and I come back to see his named banned. I'll miss that guy...he's passionate.

Anyway, to answer your question I think the best, recent representation of Superman is the Timm animated series in the 90s. Though there have been a lot of good representations in the past 30 years, and it would be remiss of me not to mention STM. For me though, the cartoon was the best up-to-date version since Lois and Clark. I also think Birthright and Secret Origins are very good representations as well.

I do agree everyone has a different idea of what Superman means to them, but IMO every good representation usually highlights the key things in the mythos. Those things are his dedication to the earth and humanity, his strength to resist temptation and his essential goodness. I did not get any of those from SR. Primarily becase in that version Superman leaves earth and a preggers Lois. That killed it right there, but then he returns and becomes a brooding stalker. All that is "no bueno" in my book and not a good representation of Superman.

Quote:
I feel it's not a matter of this film standing out from other films, tv-shows, etc, because I think you can't compare. All of them are so very different from eachother that I just can't compare them. I can't give you an answer to that. I just know I liked the film very much because of the reasons mentioned above and below.
That's acceptable, but IMO those other incarnations are better than SR because they incorporated more of what Superman is known for. They depicted a better Superman, a more likeable Superman. I felt like SR did a hack job on Superman and his values/mythos so they could make his story more emotional then it actually needed to be. SR's Superman was almost unrecognizable to many long time fans.

Quote:
I like Superman Returns because (to me) it shows an emotional Superman. He comes back from a long period of absence, wherein he has tried to find others of his race. This alone showed he feels alone in a world he doesn't really belong to. After he comes back to earth he finds the world, but especially the woman he loves has moved on. Once again he's alone and it makes him realise he's really alone. But still he gives it all to save the people he loves, who have moved on without him, and the ones who see him as a semi-god, because that is that ultimate goodness in him. And I think it's sweet that, in the end, he finds out he's not alone after all.
IMO, all the things you mentioned are good for an elseworld comic. However, this is not the film that should have been released after a haitus of 20 years. Also, the slavish devotion to the Donnerverse did not help establish any of the themes you mention because the film was hemmed to that particular universe. Maybe the film would have been better if it established its own universe and then tried to tell that story. In fact, I do believe it would have been better.

Quote:
I think Superman Returns makes a good Superman film, because it triggers other issues than just a world that is under threat from a madman. Sure, that's Superman's 'job', to save people. To me Superman is more than this muscled superhero that fights for truth and justice. He is a man with feelings, real emotions, and though he is not human, he was raised as one, with all the morals and values, doubts and conflictions that the 'normal' people have to face.

Maybe it's because I'm of the female gender. I like a bit of action and a bit of drama. Superman Returns moved me, showed me the person beneath both guises of Clark Kent and Superman.
I am female too...lol. I don't mind drama either, but you can't make Superman into a cry baby who gets his ass kicked by Lex Luthor without a Kryptonite suit. It just doesn't make any sense. Plus, drama for drama's sake is not always a good thing. It's a superhero movie for christsake! It's not Schlinder's List.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote