View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #32
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

I think 4 big superhero movies a year is not saturation, that's what we had in 2011 and it worked well (X-Men First Class, Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America). The question then just becomes a guessing game of how many other superhero movies are coming out that year? Right now, it's not really possible to tell what's going on in Summer 2016. Will the Justice League actually come out in 2015? Will it succeed and spinoff any other films? ASM2 will be in 2014, will they keep it coming on a two year jump, or will there be scheduling delays?

I think when you talk about smaller and not-quite-superheroic films like Hellboy II, Punisher War Zone and Wanted, you can have those in the same year with a Dark Knight, Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Hancock and still not flood the market, like in 2008. I think some of these films, like Heroes for Hire or Ant-Man or others, might benefit from being smaller off-summer films like that.

It's a balance, and a dance, but it's possible for MS to do four movies in an otherwise dry year. Three movies would probably be wiser though. 2 one year, 3 the next, 2-3-2-3.