View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Happy Jack
Onion Knight

Default Re: How close should a comic book movie be to its source material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
For a finite, beginning-middle-end story being adapted, like Watchmen, for example, I think it is very important to try to stay as close as you can. Not EVERYTHING will be able to make it to the screen, but since you have a set blueprint for the story and characters, you should try your best to stay within the lines of that. That being said, some things are ok to change or delete, as long as they do not completely alter the story. Even the ending of Watchmen got a pass from me because the giant squid wasn't as important to the story as the idea behind using the giant squid/Dr Manhattan.
I do have a problem with that, but in this instances it isn't the fact that they changed it but what they changed it into. The point of the squid was that it was a wholly foreign threat that the world powers could unite in opposition to and despite being nearly god-like Manhattan wasn't that. He was American.

I bring this up because Snyder's Watchmen is one of the strangest adaptations I've ever come across. In some places it was too much like the comic where it was recreating it panel by panel and stifling the cinematic flow. It was like a moving slide show to me. And yet there were other times that it diverged too much from the comic like removing or neutering essential lines. So I didn't think it totally worked as a movie, which I what I think a film based on a comic book or superhero should be first and foremost.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote