View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Default Re: How close should a comic book movie be to its source material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
But I don't think that's a realistic attitude. The Nolan Batman are not exactly like the Batman and yet those films are very good.

The thing is though some of these stories were written 50 or 70 years ago and comic books can't be adapted in the same way books can, because super hero comic books are stories that never end and thus have decades of continuity behind them.

I don't think the problem with say Green Lantern was not being true to the source material, with that movie it seems more like an incompetent execution of the source material, then not being faithful to it.
Nolan's Batman drew directly on several stories: Year One,The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, Knightfall (and I think Nolan/Goyer have mentioned a few others) for the trilogy. It mirrored the unabashedly grim tones of those stories, which was something not even Burton's Batman did.

GL is weird one to call because it started out being completely unfaithful to it's source material. They gutted Parallax and tried to squeeze him into a part of GL's mythos where he didn't fit. Pretty much everything that happened in GL beyond that was an attempt to be faithful, so the overall product wasn't that bad.

Yet I don't understand why the writers didn't try to reflect Emerald Dawn or Secret Origin. Having the movie center around Hal's training and introducing the audience to the diversity of the GLC would have worked so much better than a poop cloud of yellow-sucking energy.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote