View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #23
rickfox
Devil

Default Re: Which female character shared a deeper connection w/ Bruce?

allow me make direct quotation from someone's conversation

Q: I like your thoughts on TDKR so I’m curious… do you think that Bruce was totally in seclusion those 8 years or do you think he slowly ended up in it sort of unintentionally as he got more and more depressed? I have a theory of sorts that he started out trying to help Gotham in a way that only Bruce Wayne could, with the energy project working with Miranda since Batman was no longer something he could use to help the city and that was something that kept him “alive” so to speak until he realized that his energy project could be used as a weapon. In the beginning at the Harvey Dent Day gala, it is mentioned that Bruce hasn’t been seen at “one of these things” in years, however it doesn’t say how many years. I assumed at one point in time he might have actually shown himself in person at them, even if only briefly. So I feel like perhaps after the energy project went south, that’s when he really started feeling the loss of Rachel and shutting himself off from the world, and away from anyone who reminded him of Rachel, thus shutting out Miranda who had this view of the world similar to Rachel (even if it was part of her disguise). His depression was then further fueled by believing that there was nothing he could do as Bruce Wayne to help Gotham. Thoughts? Feel free to copy & paste all parts of this to your blog if you want to give your thoughts publicly.

A: have a theory of sorts that he started out trying to help Gotham in a way that only Bruce Wayne could, with the energy project working with Miranda since Batman was no longer something he could use to help the city and that was something that kept him “alive” so to speak until he realized that his energy project could be used as a weapon. In the beginning at the Harvey Dent Day gala, it is mentioned that Bruce hasn’t been seen at “one of these things” in years, however it doesn’t say how many years. I assumed at one point in time he might have actually shown himself in person at them, even if only briefly. So I feel like perhaps after the energy project went south, that’s when he really started feeling the loss of Rachel and shutting himself off from the world, and away from anyone who reminded him of Rachel, thus shutting out Miranda who had this view of the world similar to Rachel (even if it was part of her disguise). His depression was then further fueled by believing that there was nothing he could do as Bruce Wayne to help Gotham. Thoughts? Feel free to copy & paste all parts of this to your blog if you want to give your thoughts publicly. Great question! I don’t think he was totally secluded in the eight years, but he developed a pattern that enabled him to be reclusive. Once Bruce let Batman take the fall for Harvey Dent’s crimes, he also let Batman retire, and yes, he used his power as Bruce Wayne for philanthropy. He developed the boys’ orphanage (oh those poor boy orphans!) and the clean energy project, until it was proven by Dr Pavel that the fusion reactor could be used to create a nuclear weapon.
Perhaps, after that, Bruce felt all that Bruce Wayne could offer was just as futile as Batman’s mission, and he somehow fell into merely existing. With Rachel as his only beacon for a post-Batman life, and add to that his prolonged grief and physical deterioration, well, he didn’t really have much impetus to “move on”, as it were. “There’s nothing out there for me” he says to Alfred. But he manages to exist because he still believes that he would have had a future with Rachel had she not died (of course, that illusion is later shattered by Alfred).
Remember what Alfred says: how afraid he is that Batman will return, and not just that but return to fail. Later he says:
You see only one end to your journey. Leaving is all I have to make you understand, you’re not Batman anymore. You have to find another way. You used to talk about finishing a life beyond that awful cape.
He knows that Bruce Wayne would be more useful to Gotham than Batman is, but he also knows Bruce is stuck at a gridlock despite hanging up the cape and cowl, that Bruce has a kind of perverse death wish. So Alfred does the one thing that might sway Bruce to think about his own livelihood and future—he leaves Bruce. We can’t imagine how painful it must have been for Alfred to watch his master and friend wither away for such a long time. Then we get this golden line:
I am using the truth, Master Wayne. Maybe it’s time we all stop trying to outsmart the truth and let it have its day. I’m sorry.
Of course what Alfred unwittingly did (or not?) is he left Bruce vulnerable to said “truths”, namely, wide open to Miranda’s manipulation, but I think there’s great poignancy in that Bruce needed to “fall” even deeper to learn how to pick himself up again, indeed to learn that truth will out, and that he could unshackle himself from his own structures, for which he was rewarded by the end.
Alfred needs a hug. Or two

---------------
source http://thebatandthecat.tumblr.com/

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote