View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #62
J0k3r
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which female character shared a deeper connection w/ Bruce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Well, I'm saying I don't think Nolan or Goyer particularly wanted to have a love interest in the version of Batman Begins they originally envisioned, in which Rachel's role would have been Harvey. It's well-known that the studio mandated a love interest, which really means they wanted a popular actress to put on the marquee to broaden the audience.

You're right though, they tried to have their cake and eat it too by making her a tow the line between friend and love interest, and her declaration of love did seem to come out of nowhere at the end. They kind of side stepped having to deal with the romance in any way that took up screen time by having it be more of an implied love. To be fair though, it was playing a bit on the trope of guys and girls never being able to stay "just friends" and there always being more under the surface. This obviously isn't 100% true in life, but it often is.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not the biggest fan of Rachel by any stretch. I'm a Bruce/Selina shipper all the way and always have been.
I agree. I always tought their last scene in Begins akward, as the scene in Bruce's penthouse in TDK, but there is another situation: Rachel already moved on, I think was on purpose.

J0k3r is offline   Reply With Quote