View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #102
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
That is true, Showey.

I think it's okay to make him like a god, but they go over board when they go all out with the persecution like in SR or make Jor-El's motivation to save his son from a dying planet more then it actually should be.

I'm hoping the speech used from All Star was just for the teaser and is not a part of the film.
Yep. The whole "You will lead the people of Earth into the light, Kal-El" makes no sense coming from Jor-El. He knows nothing about his son's personality; Kal-El could just as easily grow up to be a tyrant as Earth's savior. His motivation for sending his son to Earth should be to save him, and that's all, just like the story of Moses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
But Moses is part of the Messiah archetype as is Jesus. I see Superman falling in that category and able to have traits of both regardless of the religion of his creators. To me, it simply gives him a more broader fan base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Since Moses and Jesus overlap so much, what kind of Moses elements would you like to see? The parting of a Red Sea allegory? The New Krypton run in the comics has a some Moses elements in it -- the way he is trying to lead his people to peace. That element could possibly be present in MOS. Maybe he is trying to foster a relationship between Zod and Faora with humans.
The only aspect of Moses's life that I want to be a direct influence on Superman is his being sent away by a parent at birth. Everything else about Superman's story should be as unique as possible with the occasional inevitable overlap. For example, Superman will save Earth from Zod just like Moses saved the Hebrews from Pharaoh, but all heroes have to save someone eventually so that link was always going to be there.