View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #81
Guitarina

Default Re: Which female character shared a deeper connection w/ Bruce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Ultimately, I don't even dispute that Selina was "Right" for Bruce at the end...I just disagree with this idea that Rachel didn't "get" or understand Bruce. I also disagree with the idea that she was "wrong" for Bruce on a personality level. Circumstance-wise, yes. But to act like they had nothing in common dosen't make sense to me, even if the character was poorly acted.
I enjoyed Bruce and Selina's scenes, and was fine with the ending. However, for me the deepest connection of the trilogy is between Bruce and Rachel. I don't see how it can be otherwise. She had the greatest impact on him in life and death. Christian Bale's acting overcame most of my problems with the lack of "chemistry", lacklustre acting from Holmes and Gyllenhaal, and the flawed writing. An example of which is the "Dear Bruce" letter which has been mentioned here. It did a disservice to Rachel's character. Here's a woman who's slapped Bruce twice, yet she can't face Bruce to tell him she's marrying Harvey Dent? Another scene which undermined their relationship was the scene in TDK, when Bruce make the Lamborghini joke following the grieving scene for Rachel. That was just incomprehensible.

I disagree with those who say Bruce and Rachel have nothing in common. They are very alike in many ways. Both are crusaders in their own fashion, idealistic, courageous, and incorruptible. I read somewhere that Bruce was looking for his hero without a mask, not realizing that he had one in Rachel. I thought that was very accurate.

Guitarina is offline   Reply With Quote