View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
The Batkilt
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why are mutants hated but not superheroes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
The average person doesn't worry about what will happen to them if they are bitten by a radioactive spider....but they do worry about what will happen if their child is born different from everyone else.
I think this is definitely a big part of it. The average person might not disown their child for being gay, for example, but most parents want their children to grow up, get married, have children etc. (Generalisation, I know.) The issue of mutants is symbolic in that respect.

I think the other aspect to it is the threat of extermination. Mutants are presented as being the next step in evolution, or a new species entirely. The history of mankind shows we're not the best when it comes to sharing the planet, and I think if mutants did exist there would be plenty of folk worried they'd one day take over and enslave - or eradicate - homo sapiens.

The Batkilt is offline   Reply With Quote