View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #49
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Default Re: Mirror Scenes and Dialogue in TDK Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post
Also, what I found interesting is that RAS advised Bruce to control his anger, or it would destroy him; in TDKR, in the pit, Bruce says **** it : " I'm angry "

Another interesting thing is that Bruce was told that vengeance and justice arent the same thing; Talia pretends to bring justice, but is ultimately killed by here desire of vengeance
I think vengeance and justice are so much important for the themes of this series. And of Batman in general. In his bloodlust he's always saying that "he is vengeance, the night" etc. but even wayy back in BTAS we had Heart of Darkness where Batman distinguishes between the two: Freeze says that it is all vendetta and Batman responds: "No... justice." In Mask of the Phantasm he asks Andrea "what will vengeance solve?" Nolan reiterates those points throughout the trilogy. Harvey becomes a "vigilante" when he's bent on vengeance, etc.

But as for that Anger bit -- I always felt like that was a response to Thomas Wayne. Remember how he told him "don't be afraid" at his death-bed in Crime Alley? It took Bruce all these years to come back with an answer: "I'm not afraid. I'm angry."

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote