View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
Yep. Straight forward look. You could make a trip to Wal-Mart, buy that shirt, a wristband or two (to amp the rebel quality), and honestly say you're dressed like Superboy.

I actually used that as inspiration for my fashion a couple of years ago, right down to the haircut.
Hah, yeah I own the tshirt. Favorite shirt I own

I think what makes Conner Kent's suit design (if you even want to call it that) compelling is not just that it's simple and straight forward, but also that it just makes sense for the character. He's a young good looking guy, a little bit fashion conscious naturally, doesn't want to look too much like a dork yet still wants to be emblematic of the hero role he's trying to fill. The design choice is a good balance. But... it does highlight the problem with Superman's regular suit and why it draws such criticism in modern times.

This may be an obvious and oft repeated statement but yeah, audiences in general nowadays do need a lot more underlying reason and logic in order to suspend their belief when it comes to fantasy stories. Campy just doesn't work anymore.

Batman is very well suited for our times (no pun intended.) He wears what he wears because he needs combat gear/utilities, and fear as an additional edge. These are well fleshed out reasons from which sensible suit designs can be extrapolated. It's easy to understand why bat-nipples look ****ing stupid. All of the superheroes whose suits have function are more easily adaptable. So the question is, what about Superman?

I'm playing major, major devil's advocate here because I absolutely love Superman and the classic suit because I grew up with it. But when it comes to attracting new fans, especially older ones, the quality of a Superman suit design can only be judged by how convincing and creative the underlying logic is. Sure, some random people may just think that Superman looks cool logic be damned, but the idea in and of itself that a god-like being would wear a cape, tights and underwear, is on the surface not that great when it comes to modern day, adult appreciation of the character. Which is why various writers over the years have tried to rationalize the suit. Alien origin, Ma Kent's sewing, combo of the two; none of which I think are particularly compelling anymore.

That's why I hated the MOS suit when I first saw it. I figured "well, you kept all other other ostentatious elements, why didn't you just keep the damn trunks? Am I really supposed to buy this as an alien garment?" However much to my surprise after seeing the comic con footage, my bias for Superman won out over my gripes. Of course I'll have to see the movie to make a final judgement but the bottom line is I would have been very happy to see a creative take on the suit that's story driven, logic based, and doesn't play too much of the "magical alien tech" card. Much like Conner Kent's design before he was killed off. Not arguing for Superman in a t-shirt per say, but I'm just saying... creativity is a good thing.