View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #120
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Default Re: Ok Guys...Shall we talk DVD/Blu-ray? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Not that I'm picky but I find it odd how The Avengers was shot at an aspect ratio of 1.85 when most action/adventure/sci-fi films are shot at 2.35 to give it a greater scale, did the studio or Whedon have the final say on it?

It's just a bit of an annoyance when a series of films are not consistent in their screen ratios like for example Sam Raimi's Spider-Man is 1.85 but SM2 and SM3 were at 2.35.
Whedon's decision

http://www.arri.com/news.html?articl...5b4e2f93a73f81

Quote:
The frame was composed for the 1.85:1 aspect ratio, a concept that was spearheaded by Whedon early on. Explains McGarvey, "Shooting 1.85:1 is kind of unusual for an epic film like this, but we needed the height in the screen to be able to frame in all the characters like Hulk, Captain America and Black Widow, who is much smaller. We had to give them all precedence and width within the frame. Also, Joss knew the final battle sequence was going to be this extravaganza in Manhattan, so the height and vertical scale of the buildings was going to be really important."
For me, Avengers being a different ratio than the others doesn't bother me much, possibly because I prefer 1.85:1, if only for the fact that it pretty much completely fills my 16:9 television.

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote