View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #587
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Characters you'd like to see in future Avengers movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Assuming they could maintain the quality of the first film, an Avengers movie with Marvel's 6 biggest characters (Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Captain America and Thor) would be a Titanic beater, and a potential Avatar beater.

Even as an old school Avengers fan, who wants Wolverine (and to a lesser degree, Spider-Man) nowhere near these films, I see the financial potential.
Although the Hulk's movies haven't been as popular, I think the mere addition of him to the Avengers movie line-up added an extra level of box office clout to the team. He's a long-standing and world-recognised comic book character who has probably had more exposure in the media than Iron Man, Captain America or Thor. Even though IM's movies have been successful, before that he just wasn't as known.

So with Hulk on the team, it wasn't as if it were just heroes (who prior to 2008 were not that known by audiences) who were coming together for an event movie. It was icons from decades before who have filtered into popular culture. So although I don't really want Spider-Man on the team, I can see that if Marvel did own him they would almost certainly put him in the Avengers to add to the box office power. From a financial point of view it just would make sense.

I believe there was a thread before (which I started) on this very topic of whether Spider-Man would be used in the Avengers if Marvel owned him.