View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #48
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
....I love how just a few weeks ago everybody was shooting down my Surtur theory completely, and now you guys are jumping all over it.....bandwagoners.

That being said, there is another slight possibility to consider. It's a very obscure character, from back in my day, but the description seems to fit perfectly: predates the Universe, too powerful for even Thor and Odin to take down, and his main power involves darkness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dweller_in_darkness

The Dweller-in-Darkness first appeared in Thor comics; and later became a recurring enemy of Dr. Strange. Which would also lend credence to the Dr. Strange casting rumor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone was shooting down Surtur actually being the villain and that hasn't changed.

People have been saying Surtur is going to play a background role for a while, so no one's saying anything new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Here's the thing about Surtur, though: he doesn't "predate the universe itself," not by a long shot. Nor does he "plunge the world into darkness" --- he sets it on fire. Literally.

That synopsis seems to indicate (at least) two separate plots going on. First, he "battles to save Earth and all the Nine Realms from a shadowy enemy that predates the universe itself. In the aftermath of Marvel’s “Thor” and “Marvel’s The Avengers,” Thor fights to restore order across the cosmos." That sounds very much like the debut of Thanos, and the writers may make him even more ancient than the comics book do.

Then, you get a deliberate ellipsis...as in: "and then...." "but an ancient race led by the vengeful Malekith returns to plunge the universe back into darkness." As in, the second threat emerges with Malekith, Kurse and the Dark Elves.
Idk guys. Sounds TOO much like Surtur. I mean...this IS the Malekith arc fom Simonson's run. It's the same damn thing practically.

And Sam, I was just about to look for you and say congrats, looks like you were right. In a way. Surtur will indeed be behind the scenes. I think it will be surtur, not Thanos. Let Thor stay to Thor.