View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #70
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I really wouldn't think much of it if it weren't for all the people who talk about the change being to avoid legal problems due to the lawsuit, how Superman can't have trunks or be invulnerable now because the Siegel estate own the rights to those aspects of Superman.

Within the context of the first story arc of Action Comics, the purpose of the suit is clear. Superman's power levels at the time were like the original who could be hurt by explosions and couldn't fly, and Metallo and Brainiac were too much for him to handle, so he needed the armor suit to give him an edge. But we never really find out how much more powerful he gets between the past and the present, or even when he first learned to fly. Since the Brainiac arc ended,there's been a Smallville-level of ambiguity about whether or not he's flying or jumping gracefully, making me wonder if the suit also gives him the ability to fly.
I've never thought Superman "needed" the armour to give him an advantage. It's just that the armour is as indestructible as he is.