View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #67
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
There's no point in including Kurse if him fighting Thor and then turning on Malekith isn't the finale. A third act featuring a full-on appearance from Surtur makes the inclusion of Kurse entirely pointless.
Exactly. Too much. Having Surtur appear as the final 3rd act defeats to point have having Kurse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
I don't think so, necessarily. And my point isn't: they should do this, or they should do that. I'm looking forward to whatever it is, and they've already decided regardless.

But... all the pieces are there for the Surtur saga to be the basic story here. A looming threat that is too great even for Odin to deal with. The casket of ancient winters, Malekith, Algrim/Kurse.

It's still definitely possible that this movie will just be the first half of the story, though. And that could be the better choice. The thing is... Surtur is a "last act" sort of character anyway. He's never going to be around for the whole film.
Nah lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
If he's in it for more than a few minutes, it's a waste. Talk about Surtur in TDW and maybe even show him, but the confrontation between him, Odin, and Thor should be held off until Thor 3.

Malekith and Kurse are plenty to carry this movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Except here's the thing: Surtur isn't in shadow. He's *never* in shadow. He's a Fire Giant in Muspellheim, and bathes permanently in molten lava. I don't see how terms like "dark" and "shadowy" could even remotely apply to a creature of pure flame.

The darkness that the synopsis refers to is not metaphorical; it is literal. This movie is about literal darkness....as it says, plunging the world into darkness. Darkness is not in Surtur's skillset. It *is,* however, within the bailiwick of The Dweller in Darkness. Who predates the universe. (And who is a straight ripoff of Cthulhu, by the way.)
yeah, but don't take it so literally. The reason I think it points to Surtur is because, yeah of course shadow, and shade doesn't describe Surtur. But by "shadowy enemy" I actually do think it was metaphorically. I think it just meant, the behind the scenes threat. It is a synopsis, ya know? I think that it shouldn't be read into too deeply