View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #760
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Now who said anything about 'proof?'

What Star Wars did, was they killed a few people, I think Obi Wan killed that guy in the bar, and Han shot Greedo, and then you got Owen and Beru's skeleton's smouldering, it addresses the dark themes of the storyline quite well, instead of leaving this big giant chasm between the visuals and the themes/story by having nearly ALL of the death implied. Concrete death was so scarce in Avengers, some people even believe the one person we saw get stabbed through the chest and bleed (as LMDs are prone to do) wasn't dead at all, before any other evidence of him being alive existed!

But again, I'm glad your telepathy is working. I always wonder about Marvel's deepest intentions. I'm usually distracted by their actions, in which showing gruesome deaths of numerous aliens is just fine.

In The Avengers, Loki literally drilled a man's eye out of its socket while the victim writhed in agony, he killed a bunch of SHIELD agents when he first arrived and even more during the tunnel chase, Hawkeye shot guards down in cold blood, there were several brutal physical confrontations (Natasha/thugs, Natasha/Hulk, Natasha/Barton, Thor/Hulk, Thor/Iron Man). Torture was also discussed as an acceptable means of extracting information from Loki. (As Whedon said in his commentary [paraphrasing]: "Here's the scene where the heroes talk about torturing the villain that's in every superhero movie -- oh, wait, that's not true.") Two of the heroes are trained assassins, one of whom apparently killed a child and set fire to a hospital. You want dark themes? The Avengers definitely has them.

You obviously want a level of graphically and perhaps gratuitously explicit carnage that simply is neither possible nor desirable in a PG-13 rated film. This was The Avengers, not Saving Private Ryan or Platoon. Aliens* were shown dying in graphic ways, but then the MPAA treats what it terms "sci-fi violence" much more leniently than it does the more realistic, human-on-human kind. Where civilian casualties were concerned, the filmmakers relied on the audience's ability to understand what was going on without needing to see details that would only have been appropriate in an R-rated film. In other words, they trusted in the willing suspension of disbelief, that factor that allows us to buy into a movie universe comprised of gods and monsters and people who live with gigantic holes in their sternums (Stark) and survive massive doses of radiation.

* I was referring to the aliens in The Avengers, rather than to the film series of that name.

Last edited by xeno000; 10-14-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Clarification