View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #761
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
You obviously want a level of graphically and perhaps gratuitously explicit carnage that simply is neither possible nor desirable in a PG-13 rated film. This was The Avengers, not Saving Private Ryan or Platoon. Aliens were shown dying in graphic ways, but then the MPAA treats what it terms "sci-fi violence" much more leniently than it does the more realistic, human-on-human kind. Where civilian casualties were concerned, the filmmakers relied on the audience's ability to understand what was going on without needing to see details that would only have been appropriate in an R-rated film. In other words, they trusted in the willing suspension of disbelief, that factor that allows us to buy into a movie universe comprised of gods and monsters and people who live with gigantic holes in their sternums (Stark) and survive massive doses of radiation.
You have a great point until you become either presumptuous or a telepath. Especially overlooking the films and tone I suggested and claiming that I "obviously" want darker films that the ones I mentioned, with a harder rating that the ones that they have, with more graphic violence than I described. The fact is, there is a huge wide swath of levels levity between Avengers and Aliens. Yes, Avengers is darker than I characterized it as, good point, however, if you feel your presumptions are more reliable than the words you're quoting then why bother quoting me at all?

Last edited by DrCosmic; 10-14-2012 at 09:36 PM.