View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #115
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Tyr being Odin's brother (Thor's uncle) or nephew (Thor's cousin) would be fine by me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
I could never accept that. I love the Mythology to much.
So you would prefer that Tyr turn out to be Hymir's and (I think) Hrothr's son? Or do you mean you would rather he still be Odin's son? (different myths say different things about him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
All I am saying is that they would have to come up with a hell of an explanation for why in Thor 1 Thor is "First born" and then in Thor 2 this guy shows up. I just find it hard to accept that Odin would not know he has an older son, perhaps he was completely disowned, and so Odin no longer calling him his "first born" but I feel like that's really a bit of a stretch.
I agree, they have to give the context for how he fits in with the rest of the Asgardians.

Now, it could be that he actually is younger and just has not aged well. (hard living and all that) But I admit that's a bit of a stretch, especially when you have great liberty in casting.

Your scenario about Odin completely disowning him is certainly possible, but I agree, it strikes me as a stretch. He and Frigga sincerely embraced their adopted son, born of frost giants, as their own. And while Loki will be punished in T:TDW, he's not going to be completely cast out, with no one to speak of him ever again, which is how Tyr's exile would have had to have been in order for him to have been absent in Thor1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
How about Tyr being the son of Frigga by another father who's not Odin? It wouldn't shock me that if given that origin that Odin would adopt him as his own. He did after all adopt Loki, the son of a bitter enemy.
I like that idea, too, though it's not quite aligned with the books or the mythology.

Quote:
Although Odin did seem rather choked up up when he delivers that line "My first born"... hm.
I can see that interpretation. I can also see it as a "it just seems like yesterday when he was born, and now look at him!" moment

Quote:
Anywho, still feel like another troublesome brother for Thor is a bit overkill for the films at this point. JMO
Agreed.

Last edited by American Maid; 10-16-2012 at 08:50 AM.