View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #52
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
2. What is so much more misplaced about WW's origin in a JL movie than GL or MM? Seriously can somebody explain that to me?
I can only speak for myself.

I'm not gonna say that Superman has more reality to him than WW. But by making him into science fiction and playing up his alien heritage just creates a whole different plausibility than with WW. We dont know for certain what really goes on on the other side of the Solar-system, so that makes anything possible more or less. He's not of this earth and neither is GL(the alien side) and MM.

I see WW as more of a myth (greek mythology actually), something close to a god or demi-god and she's very much from earth whatever dimension/time she then originates from.
Like THOR there's just too much of a flimsy fairytale/fantasy-vibe going on. Also WW ideals sound a little "off" in the universe they're trying to create IF it's connected to MOS. Amazon-women striding around in golden swimsuits doesnt really belong in that universe.
But it all comes down to MOS and where they wanna take the whole thing.

And regarding the name-thing, most CB-characters DO have retarded names. Superman, Batman, Brainiac... Just plain retarded, but I guess that's mostly from a contemporary POV. Today people just take some of the names for granted, so it's not a big issue. That does suck for the lesser known characters, but there it is.
I will add though that putting "wonder" in front of something just makes it even sillier. Like Captain Amazing or something.
At least Superman comes from super-man, a superior man.

Last edited by Rust; 10-20-2012 at 01:15 PM.