View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #631
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think the idea is that it's just band-aid, or as Nolan himself said "papering over the cracks". It has contorted Gotham into this bizarro alternate universe where it's become a false paradise. Gordon and Batman both carry this truth in personal ways. For Gordon, the weight of it being based on a lie is becoming too much to deal with. While Bruce still has this hunger inside to be Batman and a lingering thirst for justice, despite the fact that it's already been "achieved". He's lost.

As far as the rest of Gotham? I suppose they'd be politically split on the ideas the Dent Act represents, but I'd imagine not too many people are complaining about the mob being gone and things being quiet.

I'm not comparing it to the Patriot Act (I realize its a separate issue with its own can of worms), but just to use a real life parallel- someone might be opposed to the Patriot Act in spirit, but when a terrorist plot is foiled through the use of it...that's usually not the time that they're going to speak up about it. You know?
Yeah I get that completely. If it's a band-aid then it's temporary, and so with Batman we have this figure who has to be a constant and perpetual avenger, so that he feels like he has to exist even though there are the laws of man making it so that he no long has to. Kind of like a voice of reason.

But, I don't necessarily see him as a figure of anti-govt. in these movies. Certainly not in the way Frank Miller wrote him. Yes, there's that instance where in TDK we see democracy (the people voting on the fairies) being reduced to an inadequate qualifier (it's the people's own goodwill that saves them, not their collective or individual rationale), but Batman cannot act unless these people are saving themselves: so he took that faith in them and went out to tackle the Joker instead (which is later proven to be the right decision all along). The anti-govt. figure in these films has been the Joker, and Bane's the sort of New World Order guy. But if Batman still feels like there's some sense of justice that isn't being accomplished thanks to the Dent Act (and he's proven right again), then it means that we do see a certain Marxist tendency in him right? Of constant revolution? I mean, it's not like he's the ideal candidate to run Wayne Enterprises .

Bruce is always talking about "shaking the people out of apathy," not unlike Marx's own idea of making people "class conscious." His ideal of trying to "inspire people into action" (against the mob and then later against injustice in general) is a revolutionary ideal about a mass participation. With Bane we have someone who holds the same sort of ambition and ideology, but it doesn't necessarily make Batman a symbol of the 1%.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Last edited by Nave 'Torment'; 10-20-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote