View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #103
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Like someone else had mentioned before, I'm definitely interesting in seeing if they do plan on applying on the concept of having two distinct worlds clashing into one another in this film in terms of the realistic world that we live in versus the fantasy/alien genre that comes with Superman's heritage.

I mean looking at the official teaser, it really gave off the mood that the world superman was in was very realistic looking; of that of our own, yet from what we've seen from the comic con footage and other stuff, they're going all out with the alien stuff, so to see those two potential contrasts coming together into one is exciting.
This is actually gonna be one of the hardest sells for Snyder and I thought it was something that Watchmen suffered from a bit. Don't get me wrong it's in my top 3 superhero films. But that film started with the notion that this is our world except history has just played out a bit differently in the last century. But then halfway through the film it's feet lose the ground a bit and the Snyder slowmo kicks in and physics become a bit more skewed.

I thought Kick-Ass suffered from this even more with the whole 'let's deconstruct superheroes and why they'd never work in our society cause they'd just die and gravity hurts'. Then suddenly a 12-year old is murdering '****s' (is that allowed in here?) and jetpacks and ridiculousness. The 2nd half of the film betrayed what the 1st had already defined.When a film goes through a whole tonal shift halfway it just falls apart.

Just because we're getting Krypton and Black Zero spaceships and robot armies though doesn't mean it can't be portrayed as realistically as possible. WETA knows their craft. And I remember Snyder quoted in an interview before filming started that they were doing a lot of research into the real-world physics and how all the fantastic elements would actually look.