View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #83
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Default Re: Which Comic Book Hero will rain Supreme next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Yeah, sort of worried about this after thinking about it. Apparently they're shooting one of the locations for Asgard in Iceland, so right off the bat you know it won't look as fantastical as Thor. I really wish they would get over this "real, grounded" crap because that's not how these stories or characters were designed to be in the first place. The whole draw of superheroes is that they are fantastical. When you're talking about Thor, a norse god, there's no point in trying to make him grounded, you just can't.
Meh, I think there is room for both. I don't get why some think every superhero movie has to look exactly like a comic book either.

There is always a context and different approaches is all the charm.

Live action is in itself fundamentally different from drawing or animation, so already there you automatically have a more real feeling context. For me part of the charm with that is bringing this fantastical to life. Then you can do it more or less, depending on what feeling you are after. Personally I can appreciate both, in their extremes and everything in between, as long as I think it's well done and fits the story.

I think both more grounded and more stylistic approaches have their purpose and place.

I also think people sometimes puts the wrong value in the word 'grounded'. There are different levels to it, and it doesn't always mean it will be low key and non fantastical.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises

Last edited by 747; 10-24-2012 at 06:22 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote