View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #104
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
you know, still looking at the new suit, maybe it's because of the lack of trunks and the amount of muscle definition they put into it that throws me off a bit...

in no way am i saying that showing muscle definition on Superman is a bad thing to do... i personally, however, dont like in the comics how the artists constantly over-accentuate the muscles, and make Superman look like a steroid-bound freak who couldn't even brush his teeth if he tried. i like the realistic look for Superman, and the thing is, concerning Superman, is that you dont need to exaggerate the muscles in order to show how powerful he is.

I've always thought that Superman did not have a more massive muscular structure, but a more dense muscular structure. that way Superman can still be strong without looking like a body builder. I guess that's what i'm looking for in Superman these days *shrugs*
I hear you. There was a time when I was a kid where I loved Ed McGuinness' Superman -- silly children. Now, I prefer a more slender Man of Steel that is more along the lines of Gary Frank.

That being said, I don't mind if he is large like Tim Sale's or Frank Quitely's but as long has he is not large and ripped.

I do like what Man of Steel has done to the suit in terms of the musculature though. In past films he's looked a little thin or doughy whereas now he looks powerful. Also, as pictures of Cavill confirm, the muscle suit isn't too far off from reality.

Last edited by Krumm; 10-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.