View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I didn't have a problem with the cops taking back the city. There was still a payoff there. It was full circle, we start with a corrupt police force in BB and TDK, but by the end of TDKR they are defending Gotham alongside the Batman. Cops are people too. Who were the biggest heroes on 9/11? Cops and firefighters who inspired an entire country.

TDK showed that Batman didn't want civilians literally physically fighting when they're not qualified for it. "That wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I said I wanted to inspire people". Now, I wouldn't have had a problem with some tougher civilians entering the battle, but I think from a visual standpoint it helped reinforce the war theme better to have all the police in their uniforms vs. the mercenaries in their wardrobe.
This.

It was never Batman's intention to turn the citizens of Gotham into crimefighters. His quest was to rehabilitate Gotham's police department/structure of justice so evil men could be tried justly for their crimes.

"The People" were never meant to take back the city. Hell, Bane mocked Batman's crusade by telling the people at the stadium "Take control of your city!"

Again, every time I hear complaints about TDKR they sound more like "Well, I woulda done it this way instead" despite having nothing to do with Nolan's intended vision.

Also, how are civilians supposed to stop a terrorist organization filled with armed mercenaries & a nuclear weapon that's keeping the military outside the city?

There's a reason the cops are trapped below the city & the bomb is keeping the Army out.

Talia & Bane wanted to give the citizens of Gotham false hope. They were waiting for freedom much like the prisoners of the Lazarus Pit - and as with them too, freedom was never coming. Only death.