View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I hear what you're saying in essence, but at the same time the millions in Gotham were not privy to the fact that the bomb was going to blow no matter what. In their eyes, making a move on Bane is only going to bring about their own demise because of the anonymous triggerman. The fact that Bane can blow the nuke at any moment and instead lets Gotham live makes it seem like he's 100% committed to the revolution and not Gotham's destruction. So they're not waiting to die, they're hoping to live. They're caught between a rock and a hard place, but they were under the impression that living complacently under Bane's rule is what will keep them alive. If it had gotten out that the bomb was going off no matter what, it'd be a different story.

Also, we only saw a very small fraction of those 5 months so there's no saying for sure either whether or not there were any ragtag rebellions that Bane had squashed. This would have been neat to see, but it would have done nothing to advance any important character arcs and only served to add fat to the film, so I can see why they'd not go there. We know that anonymous Gothamites 1, 2 3 and "No more dead cops!" guy aren't going to be the heroes that defeat the bad guy in a Batman movie, and we've established that Bane and the LOS are an unstoppable wrecking ball of blunt militant force. We don't really learn much by seeing a few brave Gothamites become cannon fodder for them.
The police clearly say in the movie that they know it is happening, and the grapevine was passing that information around. So, enough people would have known to start a mass panic. Or, at the very least, would have been spreading word like that around like crazy. In a situation in which escape is not possible, people do whatever they must to survive. Crowds of people can take down a king, his army, etc. It has happened all throughout history. For this reason, I absolutely cannot buy how this worked out. I can suspend disbelief that such a bomb exists and all that stuff, but suspension of disbelief doesn't mean I have to instantly buy into everything about the film without a proper explanation, and this film just doesn't do that in regard to the citizens of Gotham. It just ignores how they'd react, and in a film that focuses very heavily on the takeover of a city and anarchy in the streets, that doesn't work.