View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #36
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
Wait. You're saying that the League of Shadows didn't have a motivation in this film/trilogy?

Yes. They weren't religious fanatics. But they do have solid motivation that is established in Batman Begins.

They see themselves as the stewards of society. They serve as the check that balances it.

"The League of Shadows has been a check against human corruption for thousands of years." -Ra's al Ghul

The League of Shadows' motivation was to seek out and destroy corruption in its various forms. They view the contemporary and accepted justice/legal system to be fundamentally flawed and broken and feel that it is their job to fix it. And to them, fixing it means destroying and bringing down those systems entirely.

When Ra's died, Talia and Bane took up this belief. Talia seems to have modified it a bit. She seems to be more of an ecological terrorist than her father (which he is in the comics) and that she wants to destroy Gotham because of the affect Gotham has on the world.

Bane seems to be more in line with Ra's al Ghul's beliefs than he is the environment like Talia is.

But I'd say their motivations we anything but non-existant or poorly executed.

-R
As has been pointed out a billion times Gotham was at peace time. For the best part of 8 years. They very goal they were striving for actually happened - without them having to destroy the city. And yet they decided to do it anyway for....... what exactly? The motivations were poor and in most cases a direct contradiction to what happened previously, and as Spider-fan rightfully points out, badly executed.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.